Friday, September 18, 2009

Self-discipline Awakens God

Swami Vishwananda: We often ask ourselves, “What is most important on the spiritual path?” The answer is self-discipline. This is a word which many don’t like to hear because it’s only through self-discipline that you will be able to do your sadhana. Without self-discipline it’s very difficult because you will always find excuses not to do your spiritual practice. You will always try to find excuses not to go to prayers in the morning because it’s too early in the morning. But what is sadhana? What does the word sadhana mean? Sadhana is to do some things [practices] by which we will attain our spiritual goal. That’s what sadhana is. In sadhana there is perseverance. There is eagerness. There is patience. Without these three you can try as much as possible; it will be very difficult. That’s how your mind will always make you think, “Oh, today I’m a bit tired. I will not go to prayer.” Or you may think, “I will not do this or I will not do that.” Then you start to build up this undisciplined-self because there is a lack of perseverance. You want to achieve your spiritual goal. You want to realize yourself. Do you think it happens just like that? No. Because if one just sits around and thinks, "I will go to prayer whenever I want. I will do my sadhana whenever I want." Then God will also say, “I will come to you whenever I want.” And He will come to you whenever He wants, it’s true, but you can make Him come faster. You can make God awake and consume you faster. And this is done only through your discipline.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many people who have been initiated into Atmakriya but do not attend the OM Healing groups. Many say they don´t have enough time, but for their leisure activities they do have enough time...JGD